2000-01 CYLINDER BLOCK ASSEMBLY 4.6L V8 – VIN W & 6
Piston & Rod Assembly
Note direction of connecting rod installation on piston. Install piston and connecting rod in engine, with notch on top of piston toward front of engine. See Fig. 20 or Fig. 21 .
1. Standard service pistons are color-coded Red, Blue or Yellow on dome of piston. Measure piston skirt diameter at 90-degree angle to piston pin, 1.62″ (42.0 mm) below piston top. Replace piston if piston diameter is not within specification. See PISTONS, PINS & RINGS table under ENGINE
2. Measure cylinder bore at 1/2″ below top of piston travel and 1/2″ above bottom of piston travel. Ensure piston clearance is within specification. See PISTONS, PINS & RINGS table.
3. If piston clearance is not within specification, choose a selective fit piston to bring piston clearance within specification. See PISTONS, PINS & RINGS table, for selective fit piston sizes.
4. If piston clearance cannot be corrected using a selective fit piston, bore all cylinders to nearest oversize.
Ensure ring end gap and side clearance are within specification. See PISTONS, PINS & RINGS table under ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS. Position oil control ring expander with gap positioned straight forward and rails with gaps 180 degrees apart, aligned with piston pin. Install compression rings with gaps staggered, so ring gaps do not align.
1. Ensure piston and connecting rod are installed in engine with notch on top of piston toward front of engine. See Fig. 20 or Fig. 21 .
2. Check bearing clearances using Plastigage method. Ensure bearing oil clearance and side play are within specification. See CRANKSHAFT, MAIN & CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS and CONNECTING RODS tables under ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS. If oil clearance exceeds specification, grind crankshaft to fit .010″ (.25 mm) undersize bearings. Tighten connecting rod bearing cap bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
Crankshaft & Main Bearings
1. Measure main bearing clearances using Plastigage method. Main bearing caps are marked for location, with No. 1 at front and No. 5 at rear of engine. Arrow on main bearing cap must point toward front of engine. Lubricate bearing shells with assembly lube or heavy oil before installation.
2. Install main bearing inserts in cylinder block. Lay crankshaft into cylinder block. Push crankshaft rearward. Roll thrust washer into cylinder block, ensure coating on bearing is facing crankshaft thrust surface.
3. Install main bearing caps using NEW bolts, do not fully tighten. Using a pry bar push crankshaft forward
to seat thrust washer. While holding crankshaft forward, evenly pry No. 5 main cap rearward (DO NOT COCK). Tighten main bearing cap bolts to specification in 2 steps using proper sequence. See Fig. Fig. 24 or Fig. 25 . See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
4. Tighten side adjusting screws against cylinder block to specification in 2 steps using proper sequence. See Fig. 24 or Fig. 25 . Side adjusting screws have left-hand threads. Tighten side bolts.
1. Using a feeler gauge and straightedge, inspect cylinder block deck for warpage. If not within specification, resurface or replace cylinder block. See CYLINDER BLOCK table under ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS.
2. Check cylinder bore diameter, out-of-round and taper. Cylinder bore is measured at 1/2″ below top of
cylinder block head surface and 1/2″ above piston when at bottom of cylinder bore.
3. Bore cylinder block if measurements are not within specification. See CYLINDER BLOCK table.