2000-01 CYLINDER BLOCK ASSEMBLY 5.4L V8 – VIN L
Piston & Rod Assembly
Note direction of connecting rod installation on piston. Install piston and connecting rod in engine, with arrow
on top of piston toward front of engine.
1. Standard service pistons are coded 1, 2 and 3 on dome of piston. Measure piston skirt diameter at 90-
degree angle to piston pin, 1.62″ (42.0 mm) below piston top. Replace piston if piston diameter is not
within specification. See PISTONS, PINS & RINGS table under ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS.
2. Measure cylinder bore at .50″ (12.7 mm) below top of piston travel and .50″ (12.7 mm) above bottom of
piston travel. Ensure piston clearance is within specification. See PISTONS, PINS & RINGS table.
3. If piston clearance is not within specification, choose a selective fit piston to bring piston clearance within
specification. See PISTONS, PINS & RINGS table, for selective fit piston sizes.
4. If piston clearance cannot be corrected using a selective fit piston, bore all cylinders to nearest oversize.
Ensure ring end gap and side clearance are within specification. See PISTONS, PINS & RINGS table under
ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS. Position oil control ring expander with gap positioned straight forward and rails
with gaps 180 degrees apart, aligned with piston pin. Install compression rings with gaps staggered, so ring gaps
do not align.
1. Ensure piston and connecting rod are installed in engine with arrow on top of piston toward front of
2. Check bearing clearances using Plastigage. Ensure bearing oil clearance and side play are within
specification. See CRANKSHAFT, MAIN & CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS and
CONNECTING RODS tables under ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS. If oil clearance exceeds
specification, grind crankshaft to fit undersize bearings. Tighten connecting rod bearing cap bolts to
specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
Crankshaft & Main Bearings
1. Measure main bearing clearances using Plastigage. Main bearing caps are marked for location, with No. 1
at front, and No. 5 at rear of engine. Arrow on main bearing cap must point toward front of engine.
Lubricate bearing shells with assembly lube or heavy oil before installation.
2. Install main bearing inserts in cylinder block. Lay crankshaft into cylinder block. Push crankshaft
rearward. Roll thrust washer into cylinder block, ensure coating on bearing is facing crankshaft thrust
3. Install main bearing caps using NEW bolts, do not fully tighten. Using a pry bar, push crankshaft forward
to seat thrust washer. While holding crankshaft forward, evenly pry No. 5 main bearing cap rearward. DO
NOT cock bearing cap. Tighten main bearing cap bolts to specification in 2 steps using proper sequence.
See Fig. 41 . See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
4. Tighten side adjusting screws against cylinder block to specification in 2 steps using proper sequence.
See Fig. 41 . Side adjusting screws have left-hand threads. Tighten side bolts.
1. Using a feeler gauge and straightedge, inspect cylinder block deck for warpage. If not within
specification, resurface or replace cylinder block. See CYLINDER BLOCK table under ENGINE
2. Check cylinder bore diameter, out-of-round and taper. Cylinder bore is measured at .50″ (12.7 mm) below
top of cylinder block head surface and .50″ (12.7 mm) above piston when at bottom of cylinder bore.
3. Bore cylinder block if measurements are not within specification. See CYLINDER BLOCK table.